Basement Water Extraction – Baltimore
7 Reasons to Call Us at the First Sign of Water in Your Basement
Water in your basement is probably the worst kind of damage your home can suffer. We know quick action is needed to avoid the potential hazards and dangers that can result. If you don’t take immediate steps to extract standing water and properly dry and clean the area, you could experience any number of very serious problems. Below we list the 7 most common.
- Mold – The threat of an infestation of mold and mildew is very real in dark, damp areas that experience water damage or are not thoroughly dried and treated after the water is removed. Mold is insidious. It lurks in hidden areas and can take hold without you even realizing it. The health concerns caused by mold can be serious—even life-threatening. Black mold, in particular, produces toxins that can lead to or exacerbate symptoms in people—respiratory problems and asthma, allergies, inflammation of the skin, nausea, and even more serious health conditions such as hemorrhage, mental impairment, memory issues.
- Bacteria – Water that floods your basement is not clean. For example, water in your basement from a broken down washing machine, overflowing toilet, or leaky pipe contains harmful bacteria that pose a serious health threat to you and your family if not properly handled and treated. The longer water stands in your basement, the more it will seep into the structure and items present.
- Biohazards and contaminants – If your basement is flooded from outdoors, do not try to remove this water or clean up the mess yourself. This type of water, especially if it has run over yards, streets, and parking areas contains dangerous biohazards and contaminants that can make you seriously ill. Oil and fuels from cars and trucks, lawn fertilizers, pet and animal waste – it all requires professional removal and sanitization.
- Damage to your home’s structural components – If you do not remove basement water quickly, the water can seep deeper into the structural components of your home. Water seeps under flooring, gets soaked into walls and drywall, wood stairs, insulation, and anything else in its path. When this occurs, the safety of your home may be compromised. Only a professional will ensure all standing water and dampness is removed, so your home is restored to its safe, comfortable condition.
- Building materials – Concrete, brick, and hardwood become saturated and take on water in cracks and holes the longer water is allowed to stand in your basement. The end result is that these materials become weaker and will be subject to even more damage in the long run. And, to ensure all the moisture is removed and mold doesn’t appear, these materials require a specialized drying process.
- Carpets and carpet padding – Water damage to rugs, carpets, and carpet padding is usually extensive. However, depending on the type of water that has flooded your basement and how quickly the water is extracted, you may be able to salvage your carpeting. Of course, a professional water removal company will ensure all the water has been extracted and the carpet and padding is thoroughly dry. Then the rug will be cleaned, sanitized, and disinfected so that it is safe to use again.
- Loss of personal property – Beyond the health and structural threats, water in your basement can also lead to an astounding loss of personal property. The longer water stands, the more it seeps into furniture, boxes, books, drapes, and more. With immediate water extraction by a professional, your loss of personal property may be lessened.
Even if you think you can handle the removal of standing water in your basement yourself, we never recommends you do so. Too much is at risk in terms of the health and safety of your family and pets.
Your rapid action at the first sign of water can mitigate the dangerous and unhealthy secondary effects that may result if the water is allowed to stand in your basement for any length of time. When you call MD Water Restoration right away, you know you are getting highly trained experts who bring professional-grade equipment to get the job done right. And you can trust us to make sure all contaminants and bacteria have been removed from every surface the basement floodwater has touched.